Saturday, December 5, 2009

I just bought a sunshine crab and I'm trying to find out how to take care of it, what shoud I d

contact a marine website or contact the sydney aquarium if possible or someone along those lines.



I just bought a sunshine crab and I'm trying to find out how to take care of it, what shoud I do?chinese theater



Did you get it at Wal-Mart? I just bought one today at Wal-Mart, the container says Sunshine Crab which doesn't bring up much on google, but put in Fiddler Crab and see if that is what you have. It is what I have. It says they need a dry area to get up onto and that they need brackish water, which is not freshwater as Wal-Mart had them in, but it's not quite saltwater either. If you google the Fiddler Crab a site called about.com should come up, I am sure that you will find it very helpful. Good luck!



I just bought a sunshine crab and I'm trying to find out how to take care of it, what shoud I do?opera mini opera theater



I would agree with contacting a marine website, but the contacting of an aquarium may not yield an immediate answer; I work at an aquarium, and the individuals who specialize in crustaceans would be glad to educate you on them, but rarely have the excess time due to the demands of their own tanks and duties. You may also contact the place that you bought your crab from and ask them if they know how to properly care for them or ask them who their supplier is (they shouldn't have a problem giving you this info). Im not an expert on crabs, but working alongside those who look after the crustaceans; they are fairly easy to keep, and will usually show signs of stress or illness through visual signs and habits like not eating (they usually don't eat before molting btw). I tried to find your species online so I could get an idea of a meal size for yours, but I couldn't find it listed (many places use alternative names). If your crab (width including legs) is 2-4 inches wide; feed a few pellets (or) krill (shrimp can substitute) about the size of half a pill, 4-8 inches wide; pill size piece. 8-16 inches wide; two krill or a quarter piece of shrimp. You can kind of get the idea, and you can usually tell if yours wants more or less by watching how quickly it eats the food. After 24 hrs. remove excess, and if excess continues shrink your portions.
Next time don't buy a life form unless you know how to take care of it. With any aquatic aquarium it is highly recommeneded to set up the aquarium at least 2 weeks prior to adding fish or other live pets to the environment so that it can develop good bacteria and aclimatize. I hope your crab doesn't die. I recommend bringing it back to the store if it's still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hp